Sunday, November 05, 2006

Relocating, The Hard Way

As sort of an interesting postscript to my earlier comments about wires and cables, today my family watched a well-organized team of workmen, engineers, drivers, technicians, police, etc., orchestrate moving a house through Ann Arbor. I've occasionally seen house-moving projects before, but this was by far the biggest and most impressive. The house in question is a two-story, 160-year-old brick structure. I hesitate to guess at its weight. The platform it rested on was massive. The two front-loaders that towed it were massive. Even the cop out front waving people away was massive. One of the onlookers I was with commented that she had read reports that the whole operation, from original acquisition to final setup, was going to cost around $1M. The owner must really have a thing for this house. Oh, and its original location is going to be replaced with some sort of multi-function residential/commercial thing.

Anyway, I thought of the wires and cables discussion as I watched the incredibly arduous work that the various crews had to perform to carefully take down power lines, telephone lines, cable lines, street lights, traffic lights, etc., so that the house could pass. You couldn't have avoided taking down the lights, but all the rest of it would have been so much easier if the various cables had been run underground, or better yet, not even there (i.e., replaced with wireless equivalents)!

I know, I know. It's too much to ask for. After all, do you really think you could run an arc welder on wireless power? Some things probably will always require wires. At least until, we get our own Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactors that can run off of kitchen waste.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried to suss out the location of this house by the look of the space as well as the orientation of what I believe is the Tower Plaza in the background, but I can only guess it is north of town somewhere near the river. Where was it really?

Tom Cavnar said...

If I'm not completely mistaken, the picture is taken on Pontiac Trail, facing down the hill, towards downtown. Where was the house originally located? I'm guessing down by the Northside Grill?

Either way, that's quite the expensive endeavour!

Wile E Quixote said...

Hi, Dan. The location of the picture was indeed just north of the river (see next remark) However, I don't think that the tower-like thing in the background was the Tower Plaza. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it was the bell tower of St. Thomas Church, which is smaller but much closer.

Tom's guess as to the location was right on. At the moment I took the picture the house was at the corner of Pontiac Trail and Long Shore Drive, heading north. The house started off much further away than the Northside Grill. It was originally at 411 East Washington St, which I would guestimate as being about a mile away from its final location. You can read about the move in this Ann Arbor News article.
--Bill